|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Previous ectopic pregnancies
- History of pelvic inflammatory disease (PID)
- Prior surgery on fallopian tubes or uterus
- Fertility treatments
- Abnormally-shaped uterus and/or fallopian tubes
- Presence of an intrauterine device (IUD)
- Pregnancy that occurs after a sterilization procedure ( tubal ligation )
- Race: non-white
- Age: 35 or older
- Missed or abnormal menstrual period
- Abdominal pain
- Spotty vaginal bleeding
- Pain in the shoulder
- Pregnancy test
- Pelvic exam
- Blood tests
- Transvaginal ultrasound (to check the uterus and fallopian tubes for the presence or absence of a pregnancy)
- Maintain safe sexual practices to avoid sexually transmitted diseases (STDs) , which can damage to the fallopian tubes and ovaries.
- Get early diagnosis and treatment of STDs.
American Academy of Family Physicians http://www.aafp.org/
American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists http://www.acog.org/
The Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada http://www.sogc.org/
Women's Health Matters http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/
Daiter E. Ectopic pregnancy: overview. OBGYN.net website. Available at: http://www.obgyn.net/pb/cotm/9902/9902.htm . Published October 26, 2011. Accessed August 13, 2012.
Ectopic pregnancy. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/ . Updated April 23, 2012. Accessed August 13, 2012.
Ectopic pregnancy. The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy website. Available at: http://www.merck.com/mmpe/sec18/ch263/ch263e.html#sec18-ch263-ch263e-1356 . Updated February 2010. Accessed August 13, 2012.
Ectopic pregnancy. Planned Parenthood website. Available at: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/health-topics/pregnancy/ectopic-pregnancy-4259.htm . Accessed August 15, 2012.
4/22/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance : Creanga AA, Shapiro-Mendoza CK, Bish CL, Zane S, Berg CJ, Callaghan WM. Trends in ectopic pregnancy mortality in the United States: 1980-2007. Obstet Gynecol. 2011;117(4):837-843.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm
- Review Date: 09/2012 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -