|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- A piece of dried stool
- A piece of food
- Scar tissue
- Barium after an exam
- Overgrowth of the lymph tissue of the appendix
- Sex: male
- Age: teen years
- Family members who have had appendicitis
- Starts as discomfort around the belly button
- Usually moves to the right side of the abdomen over several hours
- May be in a different location if the appendix is not in the usual place
- Increases as redness and swelling in the appendix builds
- Worsens with sneezing, coughing, and deep breathing
- May increase with movement
- Loss of appetite
- Swelling of the abdomen
- Abdomen feels hard and is sensitive to touch
- Mild diarrhea
- Slight fever
- Pain becoming stronger and spreading across the abdomen
- Increasing fever
- A careful examination of the abdomen
- A rectal exam
American College of Surgeons http://www.facs.org/
National Digestive Diseases Information Clearinghouse http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov
Appendectomy. American College of Surgeons website. Available at: http://www.facs.org/public%5Finfo/operation/brochures/app.pdf . Accessed November 8, 2012.
Appendicitis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated October 17, 2012. Accessed November 8, 2012.
Appendicitis. National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases website. Available at: http://digestive.niddk.nih.gov/ddiseases/pubs/appendicitis/ . Updated February 16, 2012. Accessed November 8, 2012.
Diagnosis of appendicitis in emergency departments. Am Fam Physician. 2003;67:2390.
JAMA patient page: appendicitis. JAMA. 1999;282:1102.
Rosen P, et al. Emergency Medicine: Concepts and Clinical Practice. 4th ed. St. Louis, MO: Mosby-Year Book, Inc; 1998.
7/13/2007 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us : Styrud J, Eriksson S, Nilsson I, et al. Appendectomy versus antibiotic treatment in acute appendicitis. a prospective multicenter randomized controlled trial. World J Surg. 2006;30:1033-1037.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 12/2013 -
- Update Date: 00/11/2014 -