Risk Factors for Asthma
- Animal dander
- Dust and dust mites
- Certain foods
- Wheezing episodes before age 3 years old
- Respiratory infections in childhood
- Low birth weight
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Second-hand tobacco smoke
- Damp house and mold exposure
- Cockroach and dust-mite allergens
- Gas cooking
Occupational irritants, such as chemicals used in:
- Beauty salons
- Manufacturing work
- Wood work
- High levels of air pollution, particularly in an urban environment
- Chlorinated pool environment
Asthma in adults and adolescents. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated September 7, 2012. Accessed September 13, 2012.
Asthma exacerbation in adults and adolescents. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us. Updated August 27, 2012. Accessed September 13, 2012.
Asthma. Mayo Clinic website. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/asthma/DS00021. Updated May 2008. Accessed July 21, 2009.
Kasper DL, Harrison TR. Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine. 14th ed. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill; 1998.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 10/2012 -
- Update Date: 10/11/2012 -