- Being in less cold temperatures with a wind chill
- Wearing wet clothes
- Being in a position where you cannot move
- Being in cold water
- Certain medical conditions
- Shivering (this increases the muscle activity in your body as your body tries to keep warm.)
- Memory loss
- Slurred speech
- Slowed breathing
- Cold, pale skin
|In hypothermia, the heartbeat slows to dangerous left. If left untreated, the heart will stop beating.|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Get to a warm, sheltered area.
- Remove any wet clothing.
- Use an electric blanket to warm the core of the body first—chest, neck, head, and groin.
- If no electric blanket is available, use skin-to-skin contact under loose blankets or towels.
- Give warm beverages to drink. Do not give alcoholic beverages.
- Get medical attention as soon as possible.
- Be aware of the weather.
Wear the right clothing:
- Hat, scarf, and mittens
- Several layers of loose-fitting clothing
- Water-resistant coat and shoes
- Wind-resistant outer layer
- Go inside when you are shivering or if you are wet.
- Do not drink alcohol.
- Eat well-balanced meals and stay hydrated.
Hypothermia Prevention, Recognition, and Treatment http://www.hypothermia.org/
National Prevention Information Network http://www.cdcnpin.org/
Hypothermia. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: https://dynamed.ebscohost.com/about/about-us . Published October 4, 2011. Accessed July 27, 2012.
Hypothermia. Mayo Clinic website. Available at http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hypothermia/DS00333 . Updated May 24, 2012. Accessed July 27, 2012.
Hypothermia: a cold weather hazard. National Institute on Aging website. Available at: http://www.nia.nih.gov/health/publication/hypothermia-cold-weather-hazard . Updated April 25, 2012. Accessed July 27, 2012.
Winter weather FAQs. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.bt.cdc.gov/disasters/winter/faq.asp . Updated December 3, 2004. Accessed July 27, 2012.
- Reviewer: Marcin Chwistek, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2013 -