Patients who have replacement surgery do better when they are given more care before surgery. A study published in The Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery confirms that pre-conditioning makes a positive impact on the recovery of the patient. Some examples of pre-conditioning include:
- Reassurance to the patient that pain would be controlled
- Explanation of the benefit of walking early after surgery
- Strengthening muscles before surgery
- Explaining to both the patient and family members all aftercare instructions
- Recommending extra pre- and post-surgery physical therapy sessions
Our patients leave us in just 3.5 days! Nearly all of our patients are up and walking the day after surgery.